Monday, March 17, 2014

The One That Almost Broke Me

Man, I don't even know how to start describing this one! Well, obviously it's a kaleidoscope. And there are a TON of little pieces, so it's kind of a good project to use up scrap glass. But I have such mixed feelings about it.

This is the last piece I started while I was taking glass class at a studio. Shortly after I started it, I discovered I was pregnant. I got all the way to the point where all the pieces were foiled and tacked before the morning sickness became so bad that I gave up my spot in the class. 

By the time I got into my second trimester and was ready to tackle this beast again, just looking at it reminded me how miserable I was during my first trimester.  Really, just looking at it made me want to puke. That's really not the reaction I wanted. I mean, I LOVED all the glass and the style is so "me." So I put it under my workbench to wait, then I learned to knit (I was having twins, so Doc prescribed mandatory bed-rest. It didn't work, those babies came out EARLY!)

Anyway, busy with work, kids, life, blah, blah, blah...skip to 9.92 years later, and I knew I was going to have to tackle it eventually. Looking at it reminded me of how sick I had felt, but also about how special that time really was.  Actually, all that remained was solder, patina, and polish, less than a day's worth of work, right?  End of story, I finished almost exactly 10 years after I started.  It no longer makes me want to puke, and the story behind it is kind of like a tattoo story - everyone has a story, and unless you are in the story, you don't really care. (That's true for tequila stories as well!) In the end, this one is mine, all mine.





This is a Stained Glass News Project Pattern #47. I haven't yet found a link to it on the internet, so I've scanned the actual pattern I used.  It has my notes on it, you'll have to work around them.




No comments:

Post a Comment